Beatbox Giant Productions

The producers of Kinzai Ninjas, a new animated web series.

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Screening

We're at the height of screening season here in LA. This is the time
when 'Award Winning Films' hold free screenings for people in the
entertainment industry.

But thing is that there are so many of them you can lose track. I asked
my friend who invited me what film was showing. He didn't know. I
asked again when he called to confirm, and got the same reply.

I got here before he did, and he called to ask if I went to the place
where we went to a screening last month because there was a big crowd
there too.

And it's not like I can ask someone. 'Excuse me, what movie are we in
line to see?' That's so unLA.

This should be a decent show -- there are two tall director's chairs at
the front of the auditorium. That means significant people will speak.
The cinematographer, the director, or the star will deign to talk to us
little people after the show.

And we'll eat it up. This town loves movies and we love our asses
kissed. This is part of the tradition of trying to win votes for their
Oscar.

Now watch this is going to be a sneak peak at Waiting or Dumb and Dumber
Four.

I'll let you know what the film is and if its any good.

--
Kent Nichols
Kinzai Ninjas

UPDATE

The film was Capote. It tells the story of Truman Capote writing his final book, In Cold Blood.

Really well made. I liked it a lot, but I couldn't get past seeing Phillip Seymour Hoffman as anything other than himself doing a funny voice.

And I came away often feeling much more sympathy for the people who did despicable and brutal violence than I did for Capote. But I think that was by design. Capote was a true sociopath where the world was only there for his amusement.

After the film the director of Photography Andy Kimmel spoke. He's the guy who shot all of those HP picture frame commercials. It was really cool listening to him dissect the imagery and visual style. It inspired me to really go back and reread the Kinzai scripts several times and just make furious visual notes.


It also made me want to rent the movie based on In Cold Blood with the same title and read the book.

1 Comments:

At 11:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have heard it's a really good book. I admit as much of a bibliophile as I am, I have not read it yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home