Beatbox Giant Productions

The producers of Kinzai Ninjas, a new animated web series.

Saturday, September 17, 2005

Wavecrest


Went to Wavecrest in Encinitas.

There had to be 400 wooden cars, and one wooden fire truck.

My mission was to understand the mind of the woodie enthusiast, so that
I might understand my father's fascination with these behemouths of
metal and wood.

The whole mythos is powerful. These were the disused workhorses of the
forties and fifties, co-opted by the surf bums and romanticised by the
mainstream.

But now the woodie is the symbol of baby boomer opulence, a talisman to
ward off aging and death.

The average nice woodie is worth $60k. A crappy one that needs major
work is $10-$20k. And the high end is well over $100k.

So I asked if by buying a woodie it would become a rolling black hole of
money and wood. Sucking my father irrevocably into its dark nostalgic
depths.

Peggy and her son (pictured), owners of a fixer upper agreed. Said once
you go woodie you can never get it out of your blood.

Rick who had a sweet 26 Model T (the devil air filter screw), was
divorced but said the woodie had nothing to do with it.

I didn't believe him.

He drove down 1500 miles from Vancouver in the car. No trailer.
Hardcore.

Overall Wavecrest was very cool. But at some point I was woodied out.
They all started to blend together. My favorite was the Buick Eight's
grill. That and the sweet irony of a wooden firetruck.

--
Kent Nichols
Kinzai Ninjas



UPDATE

Here are a few funky panaramas I took.
























And a Photoshop from my friend Sanagy at Roosterteeth.com.

2 Comments:

At 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, that is way to many woodies to be around.

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger MJ said...

Somehow I expected a picture of the Beach Boys playing on a portable stage in the background...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home